Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bathroom Photoshoot

Recently in the news there has been some big hubub over Facebook buying out Instagram for $1 billion. The app allows you to put filters over your photos to give it a vintage feel. Simple but apparently worth the investment according to Facebook. Seeing that social networking sites are gearing up more for phone photo sharing I thought I would give it a whirl.

For this blog I tried out what Google+ had to offer. Before logging in, I went into my bathroom and took two simple headshots of myself using my smartphone with no special lighting or equipment. Once done I logged into G+ begin my post production . After you find the photo you enlarge it by clicking on the magnifying glass then click on the "creative kit" to begin editing. You will then see several task bars in the upper left hand corner that break down as follows:

  • Basic Edits This the starting screen whenever your activate the creative kit. The options including crop, rotate, exposure, color, sharpen and resize. These comes with most free photo editing so there is nothing new or innovative here.
  •  Effects This is where we start to see Google break away from the pack. Effects allows you to choose different filters from different cameras as well as apply very basic touchup brushes to your photo. This is probrably where I spent most of my time with my editing. You can layer effects over each other and choose how strong they appear with easily moved sliders. With over 20 effects to choose from the variety of photos you could come up with is impressive.
  • Decorate In this tab you can add objects like masks, hearts, text bubbles, beards, face paint and etc. These and some silly fun elements that I see my mom getting a kick out of. They are simple but add a new element to photo uploading.
  • Text The final tab in photo editing which allows you to add text onto the photos to give it that finishing touch. I definitely like this option because this puts a new spin on captions. There are a fairly large amount of fonts to choose from so you can add your own style to what you post.
With post production being one of my favorite parts to photography I was fairly impressed and entertained by what G+ had to offer. Below are the before & after shots of what I came up with. Enjoy!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment